Thursday, May 21, 2015

Jesus' Famous Sermon

Matthew 5:43-48 

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.


Matthew 5-7: Jesus' famous "Sermon on the Mount."
Throughout most of his sermon, Jesus explained what true righteousness was supposed to look like. The love given to us by God should flow through us and go to others. In this culture, it was acceptable to love your neighbor and love people who were on your side. In the same way, it was also acceptable to dislike those who you didn't agree with, or who wronged you.

In this culture, they had a mindset of, "If you agree with me, I like you. But if you don't agree with me, we can't get along." Hearing this part of the sermon must have been a wake up call for them. Jesus was telling them to love others even if they were your enemies. He even calls the people out who only love others when they love them back. He made them out to be as righteous a tax collectors and Gentiles. He ends with a call for us to be perfect, like God our Father.

This lesson is still applicable today. It's awesome how everything Jesus taught on and preached about 2,000 years ago is still relevant today! We need to love others, even if they don't love us back. Not only do we have to love them, but we should also pray for them. It's hard to be angry with someone when you're praying for them.

I love this section of Jesus' sermon on the mount. It's simple, yet challenging. It's completely against our earthly nature. When I read this passage, I realized I needed to start praying for those in my life who I don't have the best relationship with. By praying for them, I will grow in my love for them. While I pray, I need to ask for the Spirit to help me love people because there's no way I could do that on my own!

For all of you, don't go on being self-focused, love those around you. Care for their needs. Show love to them even if they've never showed love to you. That will show Christ to them and glorifying Christ should be our goal as Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment